Randstad Italia spa, In-house division, is currently recruiting a Spacecraft Simulator SW Engineer for a customer company in the Aerospace Industry.
Our client conceives, designs, and delivers high technology solutions for satellites, payloads, equipment, systems, and services for telecommunications, observation, navigation, and exploration programs, as well as orbital Infrastructures and space transportation systems. The Rome site is a center of excellence for Earth Observation, Telecommunication, and Navigation space programs.
The “Data Handling, Command & Control and Systems Modelling” Unit belongs to the “Avionics & Electrical Engineering” Department, which falls within the Competence Center Platform and Integration (Italy).
The Unit is responsible for Spacecraft's operational concept definition and for its data systems, including communication and processing. The Unit contributes to the entire products' lifecycle, from the initial conceiving and feasibility studies, together with the preparation of proposals, the design, and implementation, up to the operations and maintenance. The activities carried out by the Unit include:
- Ground to Space interface definition in terms of CCSDS and ECSS protocol stack tailoring (including Packet Utilization Standard)
- Preparation of the Command & Control requirements, including the definition of the and on-board data bus and communication links;
- Data Handling budget preparation
- Avionics specification and design
- Definition of the Failure Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) strategy
- Data Handling Hardware specification, including OBC and RTUs
- On Board SW specification
- HW/SW integration and Avionics V&V activities
- Provide support to LEOP, IoT, and operational phases
- Related R&D activities
The postholder will be in charge of designing, developing, and testing the next generation of Spacecraft Simulators for all the forthcoming space missions, to faithfully reproduce the functional behavior of the Satellites and the Ground Segment and space environment by simulating all satellite sub-systems, physical perturbations, attitude and orbital dynamics, TM/TC exchanges with the Ground Control Centre, etc.
In particular, the candidate will contribute to the following activities:
- Model-driven object-oriented software design and development (UML, MDXML, UMF)
- Architectural design
- Development of both Flight and Ground Simulation Models, including the On-Board Computer, as well as the Avionics, Propulsion, EPS, Structural, Thermal, TT&C, Payload Sub-Systems, according to the equipment interface specification
- Integration of instruction-level processor emulators
- Integration and configuration of simulation models
- Model sharing aimed at plug & play reuse
- Planning and execution of unit/integration/validation tests
The resource will be also charged with the responsibility of drafting documents such as:
- Requirements Specification
- Architectural and Detailed Design Description
- Interface Requirements
- User Manual
- Verification and Validation Test Plan & Report
Moreover, the selected candidate shall master the underlying technologies including:
- Simulation Model Portability (SMP) standards
- Spacecraft Simulation Reference Architectures
- real-time simulation kernels, multi-core processors (e.g., GR740 4xLEON4, SPARC v8 instruction set), hypervisors, instruction set emulation
- communication standards (CCSDS/ECSS) and protocols (MIL-STD-1553, CAN, SpaceWire, UART)
- object-oriented programming, real-time embedded software
Finally, the candidate is required to work both independently and within a team and shall foster the co-engineering between the different teams involved in the project (C& C team, Avionic team, SW team, AOC team, etc.).
The working site is in Rome, but working in other locations for short mid-term periods (e.g. attendance to external test facilities or activities in customer or subcontractors' premises) might be required. Short periods of 24h shifts across the full week might be also necessary for specific program needs.
The ideal candidate:
- has a Master Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- is fluent English (at least C1), both spoken and written.
- has least 2-3 years of experience in a similar job.
The candidate must have an excellent knowledge of Object-Oriented Design, as well as of experience with the following scripting and programming languages:
- Bash under GNU/Linux.
The candidate shall also be proficient in Model Driven Software Engineering and have experience with the associated tools and languages (e.g., EMF, UML, MagicDraw, UMF). Advanced knowledge of communication systems architectures and protocols (e.g. ISO/OSI) including specific space standards (CCSDS/ECSS) and network technologies (MIL-STD-1553B, Can Bus, SpaceWire, etc.) is also required.
Finally, the follwing skills will be considered a plus:
- Knowledge of ECSS standards, particularly that of SMP2 or ECSS-SMP
- Knowledge of cutting-edge multicore processors (e.g., SPARC/ARM/RISC-V), processor emulators (e.g., qemu, TSIM, TEMU), time/space partitioning, operating systems and hypervisors (e.g., XtratuM/PikeOS) is highly appreciated.
The candidate should also possess:
- Customer focused approach and proactive attitude
- An organizational methodical approach to the work, with strong communication skills
- The ability to manage multiple tasks at one time, and to work autonomously as well as in team
- Strong attitude to achieve results within time and cost constraints
- Excellent insight and problem-solving skills
La ricerca è rivolta ai candidati ambosessi (L.903/77). Ti preghiamo di leggere l'informativa sulla privacy ai sensi dell'art. 13 del Regolamento (UE) 2016/679 sulla protezione dei dati (GDPR).