Randstad Italia spa, In-house division, is currently recruiting a Data Handling Engineer for a customer company in the Aerospace Industry.
Our client conceives, designs, and delivers high technology solutions for satellites, payloads, equipment, systems, and services for telecommunications, observation, navigation, and exploration programs, as well as orbital Infrastructures and space transportation systems. The Rome site is a center of excellence for Earth Observation, Telecommunication, and Navigation space programs.
The “Data Handling, Command & Control and Systems Modelling” Unit belongs to the “Avionics & Electrical Engineering” Department, which falls within the Competence Center Platform and Integration (Italy).
The Unit is responsible for Spacecraft's operational concept definition and for its data systems, including communication and processing. The Unit contributes to the entire products' lifecycle, from the initial conceiving and feasibility studies, together with the preparation of proposals, the design, and implementation, up to the operations and maintenance. The activities carried out by the Unit include:
- Ground to Space interface definition in terms of CCSDS and ECSS protocol stack tailoring (including Packet Utilization Standard)
- Preparation of the Command & Control requirements, including the definition of the and on-board data bus and communication links;
- Data Handling budget preparation
- Avionics specification and design
- Definition of the Failure Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) strategy
- Data Handling Hardware specification, including OBC and RTUs
- On Board SW specification
- HW/SW integration and Avionics V&V activities
- Provide support to LEOP, IoT, and operational phases
- Related R&D activities
The postholder will contribute to the different phases of the Spacecraft's Data Handling System (DHS) lifecycle, starting from DHS' requirements extending to the design's definition. This also includes the FDIR of the Spacecraft. Lower-level requirements are expected as well (in particular to HW and SW entities that are part of the Data Handling). The technical monitoring of internally procured items will also be performed along with the organization and execution of Technical reviews, both internally (within the company) and with external entities. The change management process will be mastered too.
The resource will also work on the design, the implementation, and the execution of test cases at Avionic Test Bench and possibly at the Satellite level, and documentation of V&V activities in VCD. It is also likely that the postholder will support the satellite's launch phase, including simulations, LEOP, and IoT.
Starting from System Level Documentation or Avionics Level Documentation, the most relevant deliverable items encompassed by the position are as follow:
- C&C Specification and Interface Requirements for Platform and Payloads
- Spacecraft Specific PUS
- Spacecraft DH, Software & Memory Budgets
- Spacecraft level DVCM preparation for DH and C&C-related requirements and performances, including related Reviews and Analyses reports.
- On Board SW Matrix
- SMU, RT, and OBSW Specification
The working site is in Rome, but working in other locations for short mid-term periods (e.g. attendance to external test facilities or activities in customer or subcontractors' premises) might be required. Short periods of 24h shift working across the full week might be also necessary upon specific program needs.
The ideal candidate has a Master's Degree in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science and is fluent in English (C1 and above certification) both listening and reading.
Knowledge of the following cutting-edge technologies is highly preferred:
- Multicore processors (LEON4/GR740)
- Time/space partitioning operating systems and hypervisors (XTRATUM/PikeOS)
- CFDP protocol
- CAN bus (CAN-OPEN protocol).
Expertise in the following areas is also required:
- CCSDS/ECSS telemetry and telecommand standards (synchronization and channel coding, data link)
- ECSS Packet Utilization Standard (PUS)
- SW development standards: ECSS E-40/Q-80
- Data Handling Hardware (On-Board Computer, Remote Terminal Unit, GNSS receiver, microprocessors)
- 1553, SpaceWire, CAN open
- SW or hybrid (HW/SW) simulators
- Data compression and encryption
- Orchestra Suite (PV & Doors at least)
The candidate should also possess:
- Customer focused approach and proactive attitude
- An organizational methodical approach to the work, with strong communication skills
- The ability to manage multiple tasks at one time, and to work autonomously as well as in a team
- Strong attitude to achieve results within time and cost constraints
- Problem-solving attitude
La ricerca è rivolta ai candidati ambosessi (L.903/77). Ti preghiamo di leggere l'informativa sulla privacy ai sensi dell'art. 13 del Regolamento (UE) 2016/679 sulla protezione dei dati (GDPR).